Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bruce Monro Light Exhibit

Last weekend we had Uncle Daniel and Aunt Kara in town.  As usual, I failed to get pictures of them, but I was able to get some pictures of one of the cool things we went to see.  Our local botanical gardens hosted a light exhibit by the British artist Bruce Monro.  It was the final weekend and I had been meaning to go all summer, but it never quite happened.  We decided to take advantage of it and braved the cold weather to check it out.  I think it's safe to speak for hubs when I say that we were underwhelmed.  A few years ago we had a Chihuly exhibit that was gorgeous.  The first exhibit we came upon here were a bunch of plastic bottles with fiber optic wires in them so the towers could change colors.  I didn't even bother to take pictures.

Next up was an exhibit in the Japanese gardens, but hubs and I couldn't go because it wasn't stroller friendly.  There was an overlook but we couldn't see anything from there.  We heard it was okay.  There is a pond on the premises and it had teepee style lights that quickly changed colors to the different stalks.  We felt like we were in a rave.  

Image

 

Here's the same space in the Chihuly exhibit:

Image

 

I think the piece d'resistance was supposed to be the field in front of the main house covered in lights.  However, they were dingy and not really that fun to look at.  All I could think was how long it must've taken to install (I think they said 20,000?) lights, and what a pain it would be to pack it up.  I guess it was nice being out and about and Tater Tot is always well behaved when she's out in her stroller, but I think that missing that exhibit wouldn't have been that heartbreaking.

Image

 

Again, the Chihuly for comparison:

Image

 

I went to Chihuly twice- once during the day and once at night.  The daytime was beautiful, but to see the glass lit up at night was stunning.  These pictures don't do it justice.  I get that they need to have a range of exhibits to keep everyone interested, but can I please request a permanent Chihuly addition to the gardens, because things like the lights just don't cut it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment