Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Cooking Dinner Solo


Last week I was alone with Little Miss and it was time to start making dinner.  She seemed to be playing happily by herself, so I didn't pay much attention to what she was doing.  I was chopping away, sautéing, measuring and just working in my own little world.
I think that I waited too long to make dinner because Little Miss fished out her lunch container from school and opened it.  I thought to myself, 'Great, she'll get herself a snack. How resourceful.' I didn't think twice when she came over to the drawer, pulled out a measuring spoon and ran off.  I assumed that she was using it in her play kitchen.  It didn't make me bat an eye when she opened the drawer below the oven to pull out a frying pan.  'She must be making something really special in her kitchen' ran through my mind.  It literally never occurred to me to turn around and check out what she was doing because whatever it was, she was quiet and engaged.  And that, my friends, is a rookie mistake.  A quiet toddler should arouse immediate suspicion.

When dinner was ready and I finally did head to the bathroom to wash my hands I finally glimpsed what kept Little Miss quiet for all that time.  She was making dinner herself.  


She took leftover rice from her lunch, transferred it to the frying pan and was calmly stirring it around so that it wouldn't burn.  Sometimes I'm absolutely floored by what she imitates that I do, even when I think that she's not looking.  She made a huge mess but I was way more impressed by the endeavor than irritated by the impending clean up.  Sometimes I'm reminded in the sweetest of ways that little eyes are always watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment