Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Science Experiment


I realized that I haven't been doing much sensory play with Little Miss, so one rainy afternoon after nap I decided to get back to it.  I found a recipe for rainbow goop/gak.  It called for corn starch, water and food coloring.  You could make it in rainbow colors and then mix them together.  I had the materials on hand and thought that Little Miss would enjoy it.  We made the stuff once before a long time ago and it was fun.
We sat down at the table with some water in a water bottle, a box of corn starch and the food coloring.  Not really sure of the exact proportions, I just guesstimated and let Little Miss do a lot of the pouring.  It was really difficult to get the right consistency, but that didn't matter because Little Miss Mixer was obsessed with pouring more of either the corn starch or water.  
At one point I acknowledged that the experiment was not going to end as planned, but Little Miss was so engrossed (notice the thinking tongue) that I decided that corn starch was cheap and just let her go for it.  It quickly devolved into water play using lots of different containers for scooping, pouring and transferring.
It didn't make too much of a mess and she had a blast, so I would call it a successful afternoon.  I particularly liked that I didn't know exactly how to do it or how it was going to go so she and I were in it together adding the ingredients and then changing the play.  I wish for more afternoons like that- it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment