Thursday, July 23, 2015

Water Hike


I love hiking and I love babywearing while hiking.  It brings me joy having my daughter snuggle up against me and it adds more resistance and gives me a better workout.  Yesterday I decided to take Little Miss on a  hike before a playdate.  We quickly became immersed in the woods and took a selfie.
She saw herself in the phone and beamed this huge smile.  I couldn't believe it...what a great photo.
I guess I should've looked at the weather on my phone, because while it's been threatening rain all week, it hasn't actually rained and I stopped paying attention to it.  Not too far in we heard thunder.  I decided to keep going.  A little while later we could hear light rain around us, but we weren't getting wet because of the tree cover.  I was feeling a bit smug.  I remembered living overseas and how a light rain often fizzled out.  We kept going.  The light rain turned into heavy rain and we were nearing the end of the tree cover.  I decided to turn around and walk back under the trees rather than put us out on the road.  This made the hike longer.  I didn't realize it then, but it didn't matter at that point because the rain was so heavy that the trees were no longer offering protection.  Little Miss and I were getting wetter and wetter and I realized that we were going to be soaked by the time we reached the car.  She took it in stride- I am one lucky mama.  To commemorate how wet we were, we decided to take another photo.
There's my Sunflower still beaming in back.  I offered to let her down since we were totally wet anyway and it didn't matter how fast or slow we went, but she wanted to stay up.  By the time we reached the car we soaked to the core.  She didn't complain once.  Rather than calling it a mama fail, I'm going to celebrate that I gave her the new experience of hiking in the rain.  I was shocked by how many people were still out on the trails.  Maybe I need to get her out there more, no matter the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment