Thursday, June 18, 2015

The End of Mother's Day Out


Back in September when I had a 17 month-old, I came to the realization that it was time for me to get some time to myself to just think, clean, do errands, or whatever.  Since I was so late to the game, many of the MDO programs were full, but I lucked into the last slot at one of the best in our area.  We stayed there even after moving across town to give Little Miss some consistency.  
She really struggled with the separation and for months her teacher had to pry my crying baby from my arms so I could leave.  After one particularly intense crying fit after returning from winter break, Little Miss seemed to accept that she would be staying there and began to really enjoy it.  She gave smiles and giggles when I told her it was a school day and walked happily into the classroom.  Learning to like (maybe even love?) going to school and accept being away from me was a goal for this year, and she succeeded.  
When I went to pick her up, she was doing something that she'd only ever done one other time at pickup- she was sleeping.
She looked so angelic that I hated to wake her, but, alas, it was time to leave. We got a end of year picture with her teacher and just like that, it was time to say goodbye.  

We won't be returning to the school next year and will start at a new school this summer, but explaining all this to a 2 year-old is not easy.  Hopefully she'll be able to apply all that she learned about being in a school setting this year to her new school in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment