Wednesday, December 24, 2014

An Alternative to Christmas Shopping


Most people agree that Christmas-time is hectic.  There's end of the year Christmas parties, family get togethers and the all-important task of finding the perfect gift for everyone on your list.  Many of the mamas in groups I'm in desperately asked for gift ideas for mothers-in-law, partners, nieces and nephews.  While my December was hectic due to moving, I haven't had one bit of stress about Christmas.  
A few years ago hubs decided to forgo the company Christmas party and hasn't felt the urge to go since.  This is great since now I don't have to find a babysitter, stress about what to wear or what small talk I'll make for an evening with people that I won't see again until the next Christmas party. None of our friends are hosting parties, so it makes our normal events with friends that much easier to plan.
I will say that we don't typically do a large family gathering for Christmas that many others do.  However, over the years we've had discussions with several family members that has really helped keep the gift-giving madness to a minimum.  We do parents, nieces, and nephews.  Period.  Not really close to the nieces and nephews or not sure what they'd like?  No problem- we adopted animals from NWF or bought family memberships to botanical gardens that they can enjoy year-round.  Having been a teacher with a huge supply of more candles and lotion than I could ever use, I bought some gift cards for Little Miss' teacher and special babysitter and I'm calling it done.  What did I get for hubs?  Nothing.  (Actually, I'm getting him a renovated garage for Christmas ;) Very early on in our relationship we decided to opt out of the gift giving madness at Christmas and I'd say that we're both happy with the arrangement.  
So what have I been doing with my time?  This.
Spending quality time with those I love.  I realize that this post may come across as smug and I don't mean it to, it's just that this year, in particular, has been so refreshing and relaxing.  That's what I wish for you this December, not the frantic pace and stress of trying to find perfect gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment