Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Happy Hannukah


One of the benefits of an interfaith marriage is that Little Miss gets exposed to different traditions.  This year she is mesmerized by Hannukah.  It started when I put out some dreidels next to the menorah on the table.  When I spun a dreidel to show her how it worked, she lit up and asked for more and more.  
She loves watching the candles being lit each night and excitedly runs to her high chair when we tell her it's time.
(I know she doesn't look happy here, but she was really focused on the shames candle in my hand.)  
I have to get her out of the box of candles at least once a day because I'm afraid she's going to break them and I won't be able to use them.  One morning I found 2 left over candles from a past year and decided that we would make a play dough menorah so she could do Hannukah herself.
She was into it for a little bit, but I guess since there was no actual fire involved, it just wasn't as appealing.  
This year she's been unwrapping her own gifts.  She's really into the practice of it and the thinking tongue often comes out.  We've also been letting her unwrap our gifts for extra practice.  Last year she was too young to really know what was happening, but it's really fun to share some of the traditions I had when I grew up with her and have her be big enough to participate.  I'm sure hubs will feel the same at Christmas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment