Monday, September 15, 2014

Babywearing: Out with the Old and in With the New

I've written before about babywearing.  I love it. Not only does it give me two free hands to work with when she's fussy, but it also helps me to hold her longer when we have our dance parties and hold her close to me when I'm shopping.  The extra cuddles are amazing and I want to keep her close to me as much as I can now while she's still young enough to be worn.  I've shown the evolution of carriers that I've used before- soft structured carriers, ring slings and wraps.  It turns out I've become a churner.  I tried the wrap and didn't have much success, so I sold it.  Then I decided that if I started with hip carries, maybe she'd be more open to wrapping and I could eventually move onto back carries.  The wrap that I had was gorgeous, but it snagged easily and the fabric was really long and difficult for a beginner to work with.  I decided to try a shorter wrap in a less intimidating weave.  I scored one and practiced a hip carry with the Glow Worm while Tater Tot was sleeping.

 I had it perfect and was super excited to try it in the morning.  Little Miss was amenable to 'going uppies,' so I pulled out the Youtube video and tried it again.
 Not quite what it was supposed to look like, but at least she had a good seat and wasn't going to fall out.  It's just something to keep practicing.  I'm glad that I'm giving it another go because this has the ability to be more versatile in that I can use the wrap for front, hip and back carries.

Next on the chopping block was my beloved Toddler Kinderpack.  I love Kinderpacks and find them extremely comfortable.  The problem with this one was that it was still too big for her after several months.  She slowed down growing!  This is the picture I used to post it for sale:
Isn't my little one just so cute?  It's so nice now that she's starting to look at the camera.  Kinda.  It sold very quickly.  It's since been replaced with a smaller sized one and one in the toddler size for when she gets a bit bigger.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of those.

This brings us to my latest acquisition- the ring sling.  I bought a new ring sling a few months ago, but I was finding that it didn't give enough support for my back during longer shopping trips.  I decided that I needed something more 'toddler-worthy' and found this one.  It's amazing.  I love the pattern and it's very thick and supportive.  The only complaint I have is that this one doesn't have pockets so I don't have anywhere to easily slip my wallet and keys.  I now have to put them in my reusable shopping bags.  Honestly, at this point, it's a trade off well worth making.

The great thing about baby carriers is that there's quite a market for them and it's pretty easy to sell them without losing tons of money, as long as you're buying quality stuff.  I'm pretty happy with the choices I've made and have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment