Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chalking it up on a Rough Day


I can officially announce that Little Miss has given up her morning nap.  She may catch the occasional snooze in the car as we drive somewhere, but I've learned that trying to put her down in the morning is simply an exercise in frustration.  The tricky part comes when she's had a poor night's sleep.  That does still happen occasionally, and she woke up one morning cranky, tired and ready for sleep.  Except that she wouldn't nap.  I tried for almost an hour to get her down with no luck.  I packed up our things to meet some friends at the zoo thinking she would take a car nap on the way there.  As we were getting ready to leave, she melted down so I stupidly tried to put her down again.  Not only did it not work, I missed our window to go to the zoo.  At this point Little Miss and I were both exhausted and grumpy.  What do you do at this point?  Grab out a new weapon in your arsenal: sidewalk chalk.  
Little Miss was intrigued and enjoyed watching me draw things like her name.  She even made some marks of her own:
Then, like all good scientists, she explored where else her chalk would work.  She tested the mulch,

the pavers,

and saw what would happen in the water.

Mostly, she just practiced taking the chalk in and out of its container.

And what did Mommy do during this time? Drink copious amounts of wine. Draw and send love notes to Daddy.
It was a nice way to salvage the afternoon until finally, finally sweet sleep arrived.  

No comments:

Post a Comment